"So, Erin, at last we meet..."

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Unwatchable

Re: Unwatchable. In the three or so years I’ve watched your various shows, Erin, this is the first time I’ve actually complained. Sure I’ve teased, provoked, and randomly generated odd ideas, more for my amusement but occasionally for yours as well, but I think you need to know this about me (and perhaps other viewers might feel the same way). There are some people that appear on television and, the moment I see them, I change the channel. My experience with these individuals has taught me that, if I watch them, I won’t be happy about it later. This is not always about the individual: sometimes it’s just how my mind interacts with these people. (1) Sarah Palin. Every time I watch her, I wonder why I haven’t already moved to France (and those thoughts linger after the viewing). (2) Jim Cramer. I want to be careful here: I have the utmost respect for Jim, obviously a brilliant man who makes me feel guilty that I can’t watch him, but the frenetic pace of his delivery makes my mind absolutely frantic after the fact. As much as I would like the luxury of spending my day reconnecting the ideas he presents, I just don’t have the time, hence the aforementioned guilt. (3) The newest member of this group, Alec Costallanos (probably misspelled, I just don’t care enough to Google it.) The problem with this guy is his thoughts are so random, so tangentially linked to this world, that I can’t help thinking “ WTF is this guy thinking?” On last night’s “Outfront”, he was talking about bed-wetting and some thing about the nocturnal habits of firemen, this on the heels of his second virginity thing he said on the SC primary show, and in my mind I’m thinking, ”Okay, this guy’s just nuts,” but I swear to God I heard these same ideas on “Morning Joe” about a year ago. This is this guy’s spiel and I don’t understand how he keeps getting on television and that makes me crazy, just thinking about it. At the end of his segment, you asked him, “This is what you want to talk about, bedwetting and firemen?” (paraphrased) and the guy just smiles and nods! I could tell by looking at your face you were thinking, “Is this guy crazy or is it me?”, just like I was, and I want to say you’re not crazy (but I withhold judgment on myself because, well, I know myself better.) I watched the debate and the after show right up to the point Alex came on, thought “I’ve really had enough of him,” and switched over to “Seinfeld” (the “Mulva” one, I know you’re a fan). Turned on Soledad O’Brien and there he was, so I switched over to the on-going struggle for dominance that is “Morning Joe”. Turned on “Newsroom” (can’t get enough of Kyra’s green-hazel eyes) and there he was, AGAIN! At that point I sat down and started composing this letter. Sorry I went on like this but I’m really trying this to get this guy out of my head. I don’t know where you dug this guy up but do the Tomcat a solid and keep digging. This isn’t a casual complaint, look at how long it is… All the Best, TVA.