"So, Erin, at last we meet..."

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Texas Hold-em

Re: John Keynes is still dead. So, the Fed and four other central banks have pledged to maintain liquidity no matter what, the markets boom and happy days are here again! As soon as that “trickle down” kicks in, the average person is really going to feel that. In the mean time, there’ll be inflation as the unfettered monetary supply bubbles stocks and commodities, so Joe Paycheck has that to enjoy, but, hey, what price progress, right? A lot of people mistake my cynicism for sarcasm (and I want to say, “It hurts Daddy when you don’t get me”) but when a Presidential candidate (Rick Perry) says “Keynesian economics is dead!” to rapturous applause, I wonder “To be replaced with what and who benefits in that scenario?” but another little voice in my head is thinking, “Somebody here is really stupid-and I hope it’s not me.” Looking at this as a Texas Holdem poker game, the same cards are being dealt to the same players, all professional gamblers, and they’re trying to win against each other. Let’s say the game was expanded to include all people, most of whom don’t understand the game and are excited just to receive two cards (a deuce-seven, off-suit, would be expected), don’t the odds still greatly favor the pros? So why are the pros so against letting the little guys play, I thought they liked winning and money? The system is designed to extract money back to the top of the food-chain, so why are the rich so adamant in denying that, without demand, supply is irrelevant? Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad the corporations have all this stuff they want to sell but when they don’t realize we can’t afford to buy it, because we don’t have jobs and economic security, I begin to wonder when did the basic rules change? So, forgive me if I don’t get all twitter-pated at the new market bubble. Now that was sarcasm. See the difference? Erin, next time you point out the economic downturn is largely a lack of confidence, I hope you see it’s the pros who lost their mojo. All those micro-economists need to take a macro look at this situation and quit thinking short term. They’ll win bigger pots with more players and they won’t have to look like the sharks they are…