"So, Erin, at last we meet..."

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Friendly Gunmen

RE: I still don’t get it. In Monday’s report from Cairo, you related that men “…put shotguns through the windows of our cars. But they were really friendly!” (paraphrased from memory). In the 8 hours or so since I heard that, I’ve been replaying it over and over in my head with different inflections and nuance to discern if I’d misheard it, but I don’t think so. If you’d like to take it to the next level, let me suggest: “…they shot me with rubber bullets. But they tasted like chocolate!” “…and then they hit me with nightsticks. But they kept them warm next to their bodies!” “…and they sent in the tanks. But they had flowers on the dashboard!” See, equally comforting. Here’s the thing babe, come on over here to the corner, I want to whisper this to you: I’ve had guns pointed at me before and, thinking back on it, I don’t recall the humor or irony of it. I didn’t think they were misunderstood, I didn’t feel compelled to defend them to others and I’m sure things could have turned out very badly. You know, I could be writing these obnoxious letters to anyone, anyone in the whole wide world and I’m writing them to you because I think you’re very special and when you do things like going into a civil war zone, I wonder how special you think you are. I get that you’re brave, I get that you’re ambitious and I get that you’re empathetic. You don’t need to do this and I think you don’t get that. Keep it up and I’m switching to Bloomberg-that’s right, I said it, Bloomberg. They don’t try so hard…All the Best, TVA Ps. Just watched my dvd of Street Signs, the plain implication is you’re staying until something bad happens. You are well into my last nerve. I hear Margaret Brennan is at Bloomberg…