"So, Erin, at last we meet..."

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Facebook

RE: Facebook valuation. If you look at the precipitous rise in the assumed value through the prism of the unrest in the Middle East that has been linked to Facebook, perhaps coincidence is causality. What price can you put on regime change? My concern is the wisdom of mobs. It’s one thing to send out a flash, “Hey, lets all meet in the square and dance!” verses “ Hey, let’s all meet in the square and overthrow the government!” but the ability to make both those things happen has suddenly become equal, with little thought of the consequences. It’s not hard to get a group of angry people together, what’s hard is to get them to agree on anything more than their anger. To this point I’ve tempered my skepticism, waiting for the first governments to arise from this to show me their wisdom, but, well, these people spend a lot of time on line. I wonder just how connected and concerned they are with reality when they can just retreat into virtual reality when it gets too hard. Here’s my experience with FB: I once posted on my blog comparing Tolstoy’s concentration on the infinite numbers of monkeys on an infinite number of typewriters with one typing “War and Peace”, to that of Ayn Rand who choose to concentrate solely on the one monkey who was and her not realizing that he was still a monkey. The next time I went on FB, I started getting all these invitations to join the Ayn Rand Society. I’m just saying, they don’t always get the jokes. In the virtual world wishes are horses and who cares if FB rides? No one, until they get stuck in the desert… All the Best, TVA Ps. Why is Mandy so mean? See if you can get to explain on air. Thanks.