"So, Erin, at last we meet..."

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Fine Points of History

Today I heard a certain person, who shall remain nameless (Erin Burnett of CNBC, oops, that just slipped out) and who should know better by the dint of her own name, refer to March 17th as a "Scot-Irish holiday". Her family is obviously from near the Ireland/Scotland border. What's that you say, there's a sea, the Irish Sea, between them? As God must have wanted, then.
I not saying that there's necessarily something wrong with being a Scot but I think having the day that Brigadoon appears as a holiday is about right. Let us know, we might even put on a skirt and join you (I meant kilt, I always forget that.) We are happy to share St. Patrick's with the world and let everyone be Irish for a day. You know, make the world a better place and all that.
Many years ago, I read a book entitled "How the Irish Saved Civilization", the gist of it being that while the European continent was mired in the Dark Ages and almost continuous war, the Irish monks, highly educated and motivated, translated most of what we know about ancient history from the original languages of Latin and Greek. Then, when the Continent was ready, gave all of it back, easy to read and, boom, the Renaissance started.
And you're welcome, by the way.
In the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit I'm only half Irish (the better half, my grandmother insisted) and, like most Americans, am widely mixed in the other half. My children are a quarter Scot and EVERY DAY I remind them, "As Americans, you never have to admit that." I kid 'cause I love, obviously.
I can sense the tension what with Burnett being a Scottish surname and all, but our only holiday is not the time to try to unite your lineage.
Try to remember it's not St. McPatrick's Day, Beautiful.